Commercial Drivers License

Home/Academics/Certification Courses/Commercial Drivers License

CDL Course


Commercial truck driving jobs are opening every day. In fact, according to an article by, there is a shortage of drivers! A commercial driver’s license is the first step in becoming a more marketable job candidate. Don’t miss out on the chance to become certified by taking our CDL course!

The purpose of this course is to prepare students to obtain a Kansas Commercial Driver’s License. The comprehensive course includes test preparation, simulator driving, and truck driving.

After completing the course, students must gain actual licensure from the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Collision Repair Building
Northwest Tech Campus
1209 Harrison
Goodland, KS 67735

Ben Foust

Tuition and fees: $1040.00

This includes cost of tuition and classroom instruction, simulator drive time, drive time instruction, and the gas needed to meet the driving requirements.

Additional fees to obtain a permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles may apply.

Application and payment of all fees/tuition is required prior to participation in the CDL program at Northwest Tech.

February 9-10
February 23-24
The Friday classes are 6-10 p.m.
and the Saturday classes are 8-5 p.m.
  • High School Diploma or GED. (High school seniors considered)
  • At least 18 years of age to obtain a CDL license.
  • A valid driver’s license.


CDL Enrollment Form

For further enrollment information email the Admissions Office or call 785.890.3641.


  • Is this open to everyone?
    • This is open to anyone who desires to obtain a CDL. It is highly suggested for those in the Diesel and Precision Ag programs. There will be a 15-20 student limit for the course.
  • I have 27 credit hours this semester. Will I have to pay?
    • Yes you will, or wait until you’ll have a semester in which you’re taking 24 or fewer credits. The course will run again in the Spring and Summer semesters.
  • What is involved in getting a CDL? 
    • Depending on the class of license you intend to get, the first step is to take and pass the written tests (and pay the fee). Once you’ve passed the written tests you will obtain a CLP (Commercial Learners Permit), which you’ll have to have to a minimum of 14 days before you can graduate to a full license. This CLP is good for 6 months of practicing with a licensed CDL driver or instructor. You will need to pass 3 practical exams with the DMV Examiner: Pre-trip inspection, backing maneuvers, and on-road driving.
  • That’s a lot of work for a license. Are you sure I have to do all that?
    • Pretty sure. Having a CDL is privilege and responsibility. Being responsible for a 40 ton missile rolling down the road at 70 mph requires a lot of work and skill. We want everyone to be safe out there.
  • I have an out of state license. Can I take the course? 
    • Yes, you can take the course, do the backing maneuvers and use the simulator, however, until you could obtain a CLP from your home state or transfer your home state license to Kansas.
  • Why are classes so spread out?
    • Because those are the only two weekends from August to November that the instructor has available.
  • Why do we have to schedule additional time?
    • The first weekend of the course is a lot of “sit and get” information. You will learn and study the things that you need to know to get your CLP. You will also see some driving simulator time during your first weekend. During the second weekend and subsequent scheduled drives, you will need small groups or one on one time to learn the backing maneuvers and drive the truck on the road.
  • But my questions weren’t answered here?

Current students may add the course by completing an add/drop form at either the admissions or academic affairs office.